Spicy Banana And Lentil Stuffed Red Pepper
Adapted from the stuffed bananas recipe in "Curry" by Mridula
- 2 large red peppers
- 5 tbsp red lentils
- 250 ml water (i.e. 3 times the volume of the red lentils)
- 2 small bananas, as unripe (green) as you can possibly get
- 3 tsp ground coriander
- 1.5 tsp ground cumin
- 0.5 tsp chilli powder
- 0.25 tsp salt
- 0.25 tsp ground turmeric
- 0.5 tsp sugar
- 1.5 tsp flour
- olive oil
- 0.25 tsp cumin seeds
- 0.25 tsp black mustard seeds
- Preheat the oven to 200 C.
- Put the water in a pan, add the lentils, bring to the boil
and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Chop the tops off the peppers (but retain them) and remove
- Peel and chop the bananas into ~8 mm wide disks.
- In a bowl, mix together the ground spices (coriander,
cumin, turmeric and chilli powder) with the salt, sugar and
flour, then add a little olive oil just to wet the mixture.
- Add the banana slices to the bowl and mix gently until they
are covered completely with the spices.
- Put some olive oil in a frying pan and add the cumin
seeds and black mustard seeds; fry for a minute or two.
- Add the bananas to the frying pan and cook for a minute or
two then remove from the heat.
- Add a single layer of bananas to each red pepper, then a
layer of red lentils, then bananas, then red lentils, etc.
until both peppers are completely filled.
- Place the pepper tops back on.
- Prop the peppers upright in a small ovenproof dish and cook
top of the oven for 30 minutes.
Back to Meades Family Homepage