From: Bryan Gleeson (a colleague of mine)
Notes: requires a food processor. Best served with crusty
fresh bread, though don't go overboard as this is quite
a filling soup.
- 6 beef tomatoes
- 2 normal cloves of garlic or one big fat one
- sourdough loaf (400 or 500 gm)
- 200 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 30 ml white wine vinegar
- 100 ml water
- optional: two hard boiled eggs, chopped
- optional: serrano ham, chopped
- Cut the loaf in half and user your hands to pull out the
- Place the bread innards in a bowl with the 100 ml of water
and leave to soak while you do the rest.
- Peel the tomatoes with a potato peeler then chop them into
four length ways and slice off the hard core.
- Place the chopped tomatoes in a food processor and sprinkle
them with salt.
- Peel the garlic cloves (but leave them whole) and add them
to the chopped tomatoes.
- Blend into a purée.
- Add the soaked bread to the mixture and blend for 3
minutes, forming a good slurry.
- Add the olive oil and white wine vinegar and blend further;
blending time in total should be around 5 minutes.
- Pour into a bowl and chill until ready to serve.
Back to Meades Family Homepage