Pears Poached In Red Wine
- 1 vanilla pod
- 0.5 bottle of red wine
- 120 gm sugar
- 5 cm cinnamon stick
- zest and juice of 1 orange
- 4 pears, peeled and halved with seeds dug out and ends
- 60 gm butter
- Split the vanilla pod and scrape out the seeds.
- Put the seeds and the pod, the sugar, cinammon stick, the
zest and juice of the orange and the red wine into a pan.
- Bring to the boil then add the pears.
- Put a lid on the pan and simmer for 1 hour.
- Remove the pears from the pan into a serving dish.
- Reduce the liquid in the pan by one half and then turn off
- Add the butter to the liquid in the pan and stir until it
is fully mixed in.
- Pour the sauce over the pears and serve immediately with
creme fraiche or vanilla ice cream on the side.
Back to Meades Family Homepage