Simply_Special - how_to_make_traditional_Cullen_skink
Note: best served with crusty fresh bread.
- 500 gm Charlotte (or other waxy) potatoes, diced into ~1 cm
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 500 gm smoked haddock fillets (I think the dyed variety
makes the soup look more interesting)
- 400 ml vegetable stock
- 425 ml full cream milk
- 4 tbsp double cream
- fresh chives, chopped
- salt & pepper
- Peel the skin from the fillets (put the skin into your
stock so as not to lose any flavour).
- In a frying pan with a little olive oil, fry the fillets on
each side for 2 minutes, then turn off the heat.
- In a large saucepan, fry the onion until it is translucent.
- Stir in the diced potato and cook for a minute or two.
- Season the mixture lightly.
- Add the milk and stock (discarding the fish skin now).
- Place the haddock fillets on top of the mixture, bring the
lot to the boil and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Lift the haddock fillets out again (you can put them back
in the frying pan with the heat off) and break them into
- Continue to simmer the liquid for 10 minutes, until the
potatoes are soft.
- Stir in the cream and the haddock chunks.
- Season to taste.
- Sprinkle the chives on top and serve.
Back to Meades Family Homepage