Chocolate Log (gluten free)
Smith's Complete Illustrated Cookery Course (Squidgy
Chocolate Log, page 486)
Note: this recipe really needs a mixer, making it is hard work
For the cake:
- 6 large eggs, yolk and whites separated
- 150 gm caster sugar
- 50 gm cocoa powder
For the filling:
- 225 gm plain chocolate, broken into pieces
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 large eggs, yolk and whites separated
- 225 ml double cream
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 C.
- Line a swiss roll tray (~30 x 18 cm x 2 cm) with
- Begin by making the filling as follows...
- Put the chocolate with the water in a small bowl and melt
it in the microwave by giving it 1 minute bursts at half
power; mix until smooth.
- Beat the egg yolks, then add them to the chocolate and mix
- Beat the egg whites until they are stiff and fold them into
- Place in the fridge to cool for an hour.
- While the mixture is cooling, make the cake as follows...
- Whisk the egg yolks until they start to thicken.
- Add the caster sugar and continue to beat until the whole
mixture begins to thicken.
- Mix in the cocoa powder.
- Separately, beat the egg whites in a clean bowl
(any grease or even a small amount of yolk will prevent the
white fluffiness developing) until they form white peaks.
- Carefully fold the egg whites into the rest of the mixture;
you want to retain the bubbliness of the egg whites to make a
- Pour this mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 20 to
25 minutes, until springy and puffy.
- Remove the cake from the oven and leave it to cool
- Turn the cake over onto a sheet of greaseproof paper that
has been dusted liberally with icing sugar.
- Carefully remove the greaseproof paper from the bottom of
the cake (which is now on top).
- Spread the chocolate mousse filling over the cake.
- Whip the cream well and spread that over the chocolate
- Carefully roll the cake up, using the greaseproof paper for
support as you do so.
Back to Meades Family Homepage