Braised Lamb Shanks
Serves n, where n is usually 4.
n large lamb shanks
- plain flour
- olive oil
- 2 red onions, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 100 ml balsamic vinegar
- 500 ml red wine, full bodied
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- a sprig of rosemary
Preheat the oven to 150 C/gas mark 2.
- Dust the lamb shanks with flour and season them.
- Heat a casserole and add a little butter and olive oil.
- Add the onions and cook them until soft, then scoop out.
- Put in the lamb shanks and brown all over.
- Put the onions back in the casserole with the garlic, balsamic vinegar, wine, tomato purée and rosemary, then season the lot.
- Cover, put in the oven and cook for 2.5 hours, until the meat is almost falling off the bone.
- Remove the lamb rom the casserole and keep warm.
- Boil the juices to thicken them if they seem thin, then serve.
Back to Meades Family Homepage