Aloo Bogar (Dry Potato Curry)
- 1 kg potatoes (e.g. Charlotte potatoes), peeled and cut
into ~2.5 cm cubes
- 60 gm butter
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 0.5 tsp black mustard seeds
- 5 curry leaves
- 3 whole dried red chillies
- 2 cloves of garlic, sliced
- 1 tsp salt
- 0.5 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 green chillies, stalk-end removed and sliced into
~5 mm long pieces
- Put the cubes of potato into a saucepan of boiling water
and cook for 10 minutes.
- Drain the water and put the pan of potatoes to one side.
- Heat the butter in a large frying pan (that has a lid) and
add the cumin, mustard seeds, curry leaves and dried red
chillies (left whole). Cook for two minutes without the
- Add the sliced garlic to the pan and cook (without the lid)
until just beginning to brown.
- Add the potatoes, salt and turmeric.
- With the saucepan lid to hand, add the two tablespoons of
water to the pan and then immediately put on the lid;
leave the contents of the pan to steam for five minutes or so.
- Sprinkle the sliced green chillies into the pan.
- As soon as the potatoes are cooked, which shouldn't be long
(taste one to check) the dish is ready to serve.
- When serving, warn your guests not to eat the whole red
chillies and that there are green chillies in the dish that
they can chose to eat, or not.
Back to Meades Family Homepage